When machines were good - Kung Fu
Cheerful Pessimist has got up to the 90s with Kung Fu, and what a classic that was.

There was so much to know, compared with today's Betcoms where you just hit start 1000 times until it gives jackpot. You needed to spot the machine numbering 1s and 12s (3s and 8s for JPM of course) before you even committed, then you needed to know the reels to set up nudge wins, know which barcodes were the best etc. Some of the ace machines had wins and features for lining up the numbers on the reels too, so you needed to know another 16 possible win combinations that were't even displayed on the cab.

Proper thinking to earn your stripes as a player. Why can't they do that any more?

Also, there was a fabulous emptier for lining up number wins on the early Ace machines. Wasn't there something on Kung Fu about a feature that gave £16 on a £15 jp machine?

Ed

Oh, and what the hell is it saying when it goes 'Ah a venging jonah'?
Ahhh your the best in China!
#Martalife
#Seshlife
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Those were the days that fruit machines were fruit machines.
The following 2 users Like JG vs SG's post:
keno, Mr Move It
They were good cos they were fun, it's not like an essentially flat £15 jackpot was gonna have the contents of your wallet in 10 minutes like the games of today. Even if played out the likes of Kung Fu couldn't take horrible amounts to come back round and have some value in them, they didn't appeal to all punters, a lot preferred the board based gameplay that other manufacturers had on offer (particuarly Barcrest at the time) but at least you had the choice then, something else that's also gone now.
Yes. Amusement with prize. The amusement went with the £70 jackpot in most cases.
£15 barcrests like Gold Strike or dare I say it, Boulderdash, were also great fun...
16 quid win was Wild West. Pessimist did that one in good detail very early on.
有難う御座います

ぺこ

CEO of JPF Japan. I play PACHISLO.

noos lla uoy ees
Problem is on £100 jp those old style of games can’t really be made. Skill features for jp would make the machine go dead for too long after so wouldn’t have much gameplay to it! Barcrest lapper style games were all streakers and you can’t have streaks on £100 jp either! 

The only way you could do it is have like £25 at the top and a mega streak that was £25 minimum but could give £100 without talking a credit etc sometimes. Infinity digi cabs from years ago tried doing that with rollercoaster etc which played a decent enough game.

Machines now are pretty much old style club machines that either can be forced (maybe or maybe not for a profit) or have a low block on 99% off boards and you hardly see a jp. 

Does make for a boring game as it’s just too controlled, boards having specific and obvious blocks, but with high jps that comes with the territory.
The following 1 user Likes ob's post:
megastreaklover01
(10-30-2017, 01:04 PM)ob Wrote: Problem is on £100 jp those old style of games can’t really be made. Skill features for jp would make the machine go dead for too long after so wouldn’t have much gameplay to it! Barcrest lapper style games were all streakers and you can’t have streaks on £100 jp either! 

The only way you could do it is have like £25 at the top and a mega streak that was £25 minimum but could give £100 without talking a credit etc sometimes. Infinity digi cabs from years ago tried doing that with rollercoaster etc which played a decent enough game.

Machines now are pretty much old style club machines that either can be forced (maybe or maybe not for a profit) or have a low block on 99% off boards and you hardly see a jp. 

Does make for a boring game as it’s just too controlled, boards having specific and obvious blocks, but with high jps that comes with the territory.

Don't forget that the 'solution' to the current loss in takings is to up the jackpot to £150!
The following 1 user Likes w1ckedw1lly's post:
megastreaklover01
I can't wait!!
Won’t make any difference to most awp games atm really will it, betcoms will just cost a bit more but no flat tons, bells apart from power up don’t see how it makes any difference at all will probably still offer 25 when it leaves shit vs 150!!!
megastreaklover01
A proper player's machine, make no mistake. First one I ever saw was on the Grand Pier in Weston-super-Mare, right during the golden years. Fabulous game that was always lively whenever I went to play it, such was its complexity, despite looking fairly simple. Would have had many months of enjoyment out of that game if the MPU hadn't blown on it three times within a fortnight of them getting it in. They sent it back to MDM and put some lo-tech piece of shit in its place. I was fucking livid.
The following 1 user Likes Mystery_Plum's post:
aboza21
Blimey

This thread has shaken some lurkers out of the woodwork :)
(10-30-2017, 11:42 AM)Boulderdash Wrote: Yes. Amusement with prize. The amusement went with the £70 jackpot in most cases.
£15 barcrests like Gold Strike or dare I say it, Boulderdash, were also great fun...

Agreed.

The first £70 jackers were legacy £35 machines that got given the upgrade to £70 e.g. Crazy Chair and Dream Factory, and I still got on well with those.  So 2009 was still good times.  Gradually though, they would be taken over by vanilla £70 machines.  This led me to playing Reel King as my first ever B3, to fill the gap.  By 2012, it was game over for AWP, so was forced to play B3 almost exclusively, thus Reel King + others.

Best era for AWPs was £25 imo.
The following 1 user Likes Mr Move It's post:
megastreaklover01
£15 for me tbf although I was too young for £10/8s!

Services jpms were ridiculously easy money at those times, in fact i fucking loved service runs in those days even 25s etc! Had red white and blue/circus ones lotechs etc, brilliant time to be a pro gambler! Amazing how good 70% monopoly golden games could be too lol! No 500s back then for the truckers to punt!

Wasn’t even so much the money just the joy of actually playing the games!
I mean fuck me vs the joy of forcing shitty betcom crap dear god the comparison!!!!
Cf
£10 Maygays for the dewy eyed nostalgia back here. I do remember further back than that though, stuff in chip shops and on fairgrounds etc but £10 was the era where things turned around for me.
(11-03-2017, 12:51 AM)ob Wrote: £15 for me tbf although I was too young for £10/8s!

Services jpms were ridiculously easy money at those times, in fact i fucking loved service runs in those days even 25s etc! Had red white and blue/circus ones lotechs etc, brilliant time to be a pro gambler! Amazing how good 70% monopoly golden games could be too lol! No 500s back then for the truckers to punt!

Wasn’t even so much the money just the joy of actually playing the games!

Bg tops were the first I think. I found them to be more profitable than red white and blue. I forget the sequence for the big streak now lol
15 ones was jp then 5er for 75 quid top same as the 25 I think 

On the 15s if it starts with dollars it’s a 53 too I think
15s and 25s were easily the best for the combination of fun and profit. Great games that required knowledge to win, were fun to play and casuals would play because they could have done fun although they'd lose

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are these 2 machines dondplayer 36 1,050 04-20-2018, 10:02 AM
Last Post: Hungryant
  Old machines fodster 5 352 04-17-2018, 09:52 AM
Last Post: fodster
  Smashed up machines Boulderdash 9 690 01-18-2018, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Toastie
  Methods for old machines Moff 9 670 12-07-2017, 08:20 PM
Last Post: SmegHead
  Old machines with bad graphics Boulderdash 1 328 09-27-2017, 09:05 PM
Last Post: jerz92
  Machines that fuck up ( to your advantage ) dazzler 35 11,987 12-19-2016, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Boydie
  Are the machines leaving our public houses? FT Article. Brindmeister 49 17,695 09-23-2016, 10:36 AM
Last Post: LookUp
  A few good men playford7 7 2,491 06-08-2016, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Mr Move It
  The origin of 5-reel slot machines? Mr Move It 25 10,911 04-20-2016, 03:00 PM
Last Post: vectra666
  The good times are gone Triple7 26 11,639 12-30-2015, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Damo