New Pound Coin
So on the 15th of this month the old £1 coin is no longer legal tender. I was thinking about what the AWP operators would do regarding the coin mechanisms.

A while ago they went round adapting them all to take both old and new £1 coins but would they really go round again to disable the old £1 coin. That is costly so my guess is they’ll only do that if they are going to a machine for another reason anyway. I’m assuming the coin mechanisms don’t keep real time within themselves and hence could have been pre-programmed to stop accepting the old £1 coin on the 15th.

Even so they have the issue in both the cash box and the hopper which could contain both coin types anyway. I assume the operators have a grace period for swapping the old coins.

Also surely the odd Barcrest 70 that is still around will have to go – can those coin mechs be updated ?

Your comments please

A few observations I have made since as far back as August:

Two machines in one pub both stating they take old and new £1 coins but in fact don’t take the old ones.

A machine in one pub stating it takes old and new £1 coins but in fact don’t take the new ones and if you try a new one then the next coin (regardless of what it is) won’t go in.

A machine in one pub that takes both old and new £1 coins but always cash boxes the old ones – presumably to keep the hopper as new coins only. Did see another machine with ‘refill with new £1 coins only’ sticker on it.
Played something recently that only took the new coin but paid old and new. Any mech can be updated so that barcrest can stay providing the operator knows someone to update it
All local Spoons to me have been programmed only to accept new £1 coins for a good few weeks now.
I have a Red Mist that will accept the old £1 coin but won't give credit! They've just put a fuck you clause sign above the mech if you put one in by accident.
I'm looking forward to the inevitable payout containing old pound coins and having a run in with the management of any pub or arcade. I mean, how can you prove they came out the machine without a witness to every payout? Will they even care? Is it even legal for them to pay out a coin will be effectively a token?
Banks will still take old coins for a while so operators wont be too fussed getting them for a while.

My Kung Fu takes new pounds as do all my crests and even fright night and ready to rock.

It costs to update any mech and the kit to do it yourself costs a few K and its on a dongle like system where your charged
#Martalife
#Seshlife
The industry already resolved this issue by ensuring your bank will never result in much to cash out in the first place...
The following 2 users Like ridye's post:
kermithopper, megastreaklover01
New tenners getting about real quick though
#Martalife
#Seshlife
(10-01-2017, 08:31 AM)kidgloves Wrote: I have a Red Mist that will accept the old £1 coin but won't give credit! They've just put a fuck you clause sign above the mech if you put one in by accident.

lol

(10-01-2017, 08:31 AM)kidgloves Wrote: I'm looking forward to the inevitable payout containing old pound coins and having a run in with the management of any pub or arcade. I mean, how can you prove they came out the machine without a witness to every payout? Will they even care? Is it even legal for them to pay out a coin will be effectively a token?

I have a machine in the local spoons that I've often used to convert pound coins to tenners. More recently I've also been using it to convert old pound coins to new ones. As long as you have a local machine like that (with old coins still accepted) you can always do that if you have trouble.
The following 1 user Likes dondplayer's post:
megastreaklover01
You should find that most machines take the new £10 straight away as they was updated when the £5 note was updated. I have been finding a few machines in pubs not taking old £1 coins anymore. Not the real end of the world if you get some old £1 coins. Just take them to the bank..
Local cashino definitely doesn't take them yet. To be fair where I live you wouldn't be shocked to find 1 pound notes
The following 2 users Like kfcandanal's post:
kermithopper, SmegHead
Been done twice Today with old pound coins coming out machines with the new ones - each time about 5 quids worth - TBF no trouble getting them swapped in either of the pubs.
I've had pubs refusing to change them. I've also had a few machines rejecting new notes. The whole thing is a pain in the arse.
Ladbrokes machines still take the olkd coins mind if you want an easy change
I know a red hot that doesn't accept new pound coins (as well as 3/4 of old ones or any description of note)
(10-01-2017, 09:14 AM)streakseims Wrote: Banks will still take old coins for a while so operators wont be too fussed getting them for a while.

My Kung Fu takes new pounds as do all my crests and even fright night and ready to rock.

It costs to update any mech and the kit to do it yourself costs a few K and its on a dongle like system where your charged

Shame my local pub hasn't took notice - go in their tonight as the TIOLI is on - naturally I assume it now takes the new pound coin and the new £5/£10 notes - nope Sad

Had 40 in old notes on me but what's the point - got another 70 JP to check aswell
Offer to update the coin mech for them for £25, send it off to someone that does it and have it done within a few days then give it back, jobs a goodun.
Seems i am the old for new pound man for my mates - anyway two more changed today - got to be the last machine i know of that does this and allows credit collect.
Still know a fair few that take em. I not bothered as banks will still take them for ages
#Martalife
#Seshlife
(02-02-2018, 03:07 PM)streakseims Wrote: Still know a fair few that take em. I not bothered as banks will still take them for ages

I have a local machine with no note changer, sign saying no new coins. Pays out only in old coins. Collect button very dodgy. Cant understand why its in the pub and on. Costing electricity surely. Dumbass
Not a rob the bank is it lol
#Martalife
#Seshlife
(02-02-2018, 09:35 PM)streakseims Wrote: Not a rob the bank is it lol

Er no a very rare machine, think its called  red alert, -£70 machine.pile of shit even 10 ish years ago. Which kind of follows my own thread of ' rare machines' but i think ive seen four of these, only 1 in 2018 though
Jpm?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  eye of horus 100 pound jackpot mr x 14 730 05-25-2018, 06:50 AM
Last Post: streakseims
  Musings about coin mech err 10 or 'The mech snatcher' if you like... JG vs SG 12 761 05-04-2018, 07:15 PM
Last Post: ridye
  Rhythm & Blues Coin Pusher Songs FruitMachineAddict 23 8,045 02-22-2018, 09:32 AM
Last Post: dondplayer
  project coin find the lady question mr x 12 1,255 09-22-2017, 06:44 PM
Last Post: jerz92
  Novice advice for the new £1 coin Craig6675 2 783 02-15-2017, 09:59 PM
Last Post: SmegHead
  End of march release date for new £ coin stanmarsh14 0 613 01-01-2017, 04:39 PM
Last Post: stanmarsh14
  100 pound jackpot cashpots mr x 10 4,135 12-16-2016, 02:52 PM
Last Post: LookUp
  0010 coin mech levartemit 1 957 09-20-2015, 06:26 PM
Last Post: dazzler
  The Million Pound Drop ridye 2 1,190 02-23-2015, 10:36 AM
Last Post: SmegHead
  Autumn Coin Op steelfix1 2 1,456 09-05-2014, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Glendale