Computer help required
Hi all

I'm running Windows 7 on a fairly old pc and just updated it to make sure it is patched against WannaCry.

But since the update Windows explorer crashes every time I try to copy or move files.

The internet suggests this is not uncommon after a windows update (thanks Microsoft) and that I might try copying explorer.exe from c:Windows to system 32 folder. But clearly I can't do that as it always crashes.

Any ideas?
My advice is upgrade to Windows 10. There's no reason for people to still be on 7 really
Could you try running System Restore to a restore point that dated before you ran the update?

About WannaCry btw, it's classed as ransomware and I don't think that virus scanners can pick these up because they don't count as being a virus? It's usually gullible people in the accounts dept clicking double-extension files such as .pdf.exe thinking that they're opening a PDF invoice but it's actually an executable. So it's classed as social engineering rather than hacking.

The crux of this is be wary of what email attachments you're opening. It's the case now in 2017 and it was the case 15-20 years ago in the early days of internet access.
Wanna cry is a virus for sure. Once someone opens it, it automatically scans the network for known vulnerabilities and infects other machines
I upgraded to Windows 10 but had to roll back as my printer/scanner didn't have a compatible driver.

Rather than spend £50 on a new one I went back to windows 7 Which I actually prefer anyway.
(05-22-2017, 11:48 AM)Slasher Wrote: Wanna cry is a virus for sure. Once someone opens it, it automatically scans the network for known vulnerabilities and infects other machines

It didn't even need anyone to open it. If you have an outlook client windows defender activated it by scanning it! That's why Microsoft issued a patch for XP as well as 7. Windows 10 works differently do isn't affected.
The following 1 user Likes Boulderdash's post:
SmegHead

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Noel Soundbite Required ridye 4 1,426 05-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Last Post: JG Sluts
  London Help Required Scottyhiroller 31 6,192 09-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Last Post: keykeythe1