Roller Coaster excitement
A local cafe/arcade that I got barred from the best part of twenty years ago recently closed down. (For all that twenty years it was run by the same bloke, so I never went back there after getting barred. Well, I tried once after about three years and the fucker recognised me inside of about 2.73 seconds.) It was a bit shit anyway, looking through the windows you could see that over the years all the videogames had gone, the pinball disappeared before I even got barred, and the fruit machines were increasingly just a load of shit £5 jackpot affairs that looked thoroughly depressing - either being completely turned off or with loads of bulbs out etc, so it's not like I was missing much. (It did more business as a cafe I think.)

Anyway, it's now been refurbished and recently reopened as a cafe+pizzeria/arcade, so I wandered down this afternoon to have a look. (It's also under new ownership, so my barring has finally expired!)

Fruit machine wise not a huge amount of interest except an old JPM Roller Coaster on 20p play with a £10 jackpot. Decided to have a punt but it was clearly on its arse, took £18 to show a single 1/12 (should have stopped after a tenner with no numbering really, but come on, a Roller Coaster, you're going to have a go at that aren't you), fortunately it only took another £7 after that for me to get the coconut repeater for £10, which repeated once, so £20 out for £25 in.

There was also an ancient Smash & Grab but unfortunately it was out of service, that must be 30+ years old! (Think it was released in 1985.)

Other than that it was a fairly motley collection of £500ers, and a DOND Cops & Robbers on £100 that was turned off. However, there's another room in the place they haven't opened up yet, and there'll be more machines in there apparently and a pool table. (I could see an Italian Job 2 back there with £25 decals, it was turned off.)

Also imagine my delight to find two pinballs on site, (I love pinball), both of them in very good repair and with a decent lick of volume to them as well.

Unfortunately they're both Sterns although I guess it'd be too much to ask for an old Williams/Bally to be kept running in serviceable condition on site, since the last one was made in 1999. However, they both seemed to play a pretty good game, Spiderman in particular I really rather enjoyed. (Plus, it's a real physical pinball, so even a 'Tier 2' pinball is awesomely good fun to play, just 'cause it's the real thing.)

I also managed to get my eye in with it too, to the extent that even though it kept putting the REPLAY score up, I was getting better at it at about the same rate of knots, so kept getting replays, and it also chucked a couple of MATCHES into the mix as well.

Having bagged the Grand Champion score with two credits remaining, I offered them to a couple of children who'd started watching me, always good to get youngsters interested in pinball!

The only other non-gambling machine was a Point Blank which I didn't play, I'll have a crack at that next time.

Nice little place, the staff were very friendly, I asked them if they minded me taking pictures and they said no problem, and I had a latte to drink. (They're not licensed for alcohol unfortunately.)

Spent less than a tenner including my coffee, and was in there for an hour or so.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The following 3 users Like Chop's post:
kermithopper, Mr Move It, SmegHead
Cor fairly alright line up - where is this?
You'll have to come to the Isle of Man I'm afraid :)

(I mean, it's a gorgeous place like, I've lived here for over 20 years now, but a long way to travel for a nice little arcade!)
The following 1 user Likes Chop's post:
Sebastian
not a bad channel for some of the old favourites!

Nice work. I'm no fan of Stern pinball in general but did get rather good at the Shrek one on holiday last year.

Favourite game of all time, like many players, has to be Addams Family. I still play it whenever I see it - fabulous game, so many intricacies. The Power magnet madness is magnificent and it has so many phrases you almost never hear unless you've toured the mansion. 'Great curve shot old man' springs you mind...
Wasn't the biggest fan of those lol! Had some right battles on em

Was the first off that style to streak of the jp by doing an im board after though, party animal/tot etc couldn't do im boards!
(02-13-2017, 12:06 PM)Boulderdash Wrote: Nice work. I'm no fan of Stern pinball in general but did get rather good at the Shrek one on holiday last year.

Favourite game of all time, like many players, has to be Addams Family. I still play it whenever I see it - fabulous game, so many intricacies. The Power magnet madness is magnificent and it has so many phrases you almost never hear unless you've toured the mansion. 'Great curve shot old man' springs you mind...

I own the high score at skeggy pier Adams family. Got it last year, still there when I checked weekend. Before last
Nice little place to have on your doorstep :D 

And a Point Blank in there as well!  What a treat - I spent hours playing that when I was in my teens.  Cracking game Smile 

If they fix that Grab the Bank you've got a great venue there.  I mean you'd happily pop down there with £20 once or twice a week wouldn't you?  Last you all afternoon!
(02-12-2017, 11:00 PM)HoveSam Wrote: not a bad channel for some of the old favourites!

I used to lose a fortune on the Projects in the early 90s. Probably always played just after people had taken £30odd out of them
Used to be a nice feeling when you got a jackpot and it started counting up the bank slower than usual!!
secret holds ! up until maybe a couple years ago still had one of these on £4.80 cash jp
Popped out for some lunch and pinball with Mrs Chop at this place. Considering how much practice I've put into Star Wars in the emulator, seemed silly not to have a punt at the real thing.

(They've opened up the back room properly now, unfortunately it's nearly all £500ers but there is a Star Wars and the Italian Job is turned on now too, the DOND Cops and Robbers was on its arse that took £20 off me, Italian Job I forced for a £25 jackpot, next board stacked to a tenner but then killed me, took a bit more for the next £25 and then dead.)

£20 in, £70 out on Star Wars :)

(Cost £5 for DARK SIDE on £1 play, showing £2, then took £15 to spin in a win on 25p, let me trap it that board.)

Also the Roller Coaster did the maximum £28.80 Nemesis.

So there is such a thing as a free lunch. (And then some.)

[Image: rollo.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Chop's post:
Mr Move It
Great video / pic.

I presume that something as old as Roller Coaster can still take current coinage? Just interested if there is much work involved in adapting an old fruit or pinball, particularly with the new £1 phasing in soon.
Coin mech can be updated without much hassle Yeah
(03-20-2017, 05:59 PM)Mr Move It Wrote: Great video / pic.

Cheers :)

If I'd have thought on a bit I'd have got the missus to video the whole thing (you can just see her head when I pan from Star Wars to Italian Job), maybe do that next time! It's a friendly place and they don't mind cameras, so it shouldn't be a problem.

The £28.80 Nemesis on Roller Coaster was nice, wish I'd have videoed that. Wedging the high or low the whole way, not because it makes any difference but because it feels cooler :D 

Quote:I presume that something as old as Roller Coaster can still take current coinage?  Just interested if there is much work involved in adapting an old fruit or pinball, particularly with the new £1 phasing in soon.

Dunno how they'll get on with the new £1 coin, but I'll defer to Slasher saying it shouldn't be that hard. Either that or they could keep a supply of old coins available for folks to change to if they've got new coins the machines won't take, something like that.

I just wish they had less random £500ers in there and more proper old fruits, if I see the owner in there next time I'll have a chat to him about it, but I guess the answer will be exactly the same as it is for the pubs here, the random £500ers do a lot better business than compensated AWPs.
Yeah I wouldn't show a video of the whole process lol
(03-22-2017, 08:09 AM)Chop Wrote: Dunno how they'll get on with the new £1 coin

Speaking of which I notice a lot of machines have a sticker on now saying accepts old and new £1 coins.

Not seen a new one yet - could recycle a hopper on certain machines to see if one comes out lol - I have to assume both types go into the hopper.
They aren't in circulation till 28th, so be surprised if you found one!

Wonder who will get the first new pound coin mech error...
(03-22-2017, 12:25 PM)dondplayer Wrote: Not seen a new one yet - could recycle a hopper on certain machines to see if one comes out lol - I have to assume both types go into the hopper.

Yes I think an existing hopper will be able to take both £1 coins without modification as they're pretty much the same size.  This is on the basis that the slot in supermarket trolleys will take the new £1 coin no probs.
*Edited*
He's doing no harm, don't create unneeded aggro. Nobody cares.
-Peko