Are the machines leaving our public houses? FT Article.
https://www.ft.com/content/dcb2154a-7bfd...4b4333ee43

JD Wetherspoon, one of the UK’s largest pub companies, revealed last week that the proportion of its income from machines had halved since 2000 from 6 per cent to 3 per cent, or £48m of £1.6bn revenues. Machine revenue at Wetherspoon has fallen in seven of the past 10 years, while at rival pubco Punch Taverns “machine and other revenue” has fallen 16 per cent in the past five years, from £14.3m to £12m

FOBTs are not allowed in pubs and many believe this has drawn away key players. “FOBTs have undoubtedly reduced gaming machine income in pubs,” said Mr Townsend at Enterprise Inns. “For the player that wants a gambling experience, FOBTs offer much higher prizes, and they might be more attracted to those machines.”
set the machines to 90%+ would be a good start.
It would indeed. Unfortunately, the pubs / operators are too stupid to understand why paying out more would be a good move in an era of high jackpots.
The following 2 users Like kong's post:
LookUp, SmegHead
Perhaps they are angling for a slice of the £500 jp market
The FT is a pay-walled web site.

But based on the text pasted here, I agree. The £70 era killed me off AWPs and I switched categories to B3. That's arcade cabinet as well as FOBTs.
Easily solved.

1) Scrap the whole test phase shit, that's got us in a right mess
2) Make DECENT and FUN machines rather than just force force force shit - DOND had this nailed on the head, also machines that had jackpot shortcuts if you know what you were doing were pretty good too - so long as it isn't a full blown empty. Obviously the machine would need a certain level of life, especially these days, as otherwise they'll always be dead flat on their arses.
3) Put the percentages UP to compete with the bookie percentages. We don't need randoms or fobts in pubs where the owners just think shit percentages = more profit.
4) Stop being so deluded and trying to push out the core player. A lot of the play through, despite what you think, will indeed come from a player or players, willing to put hundreds in to win the jackpot in order to leave it dead for the next player.
5) Listen to the customers who put lots of money in (I'm looking at you BFG!)
6) MAINTAIN YOUR MACHINES PROPERLY!! THIS MEANS FIX BROKEN BUTTONS, NOTE RECYCLERS, COIN MECHS, ETC! (I'm looking at you Regal and Gamestec!)
The following 3 users Like SmegHead's post:
DaveScouse, LookUp, megastreaklover01
lol i like point 4 slasher, it is more about that than making a profit!
i genuinely believe putting the % to min 84% but target 88%+ would turn the industry around overnight. alot of the shit games would become liveable at least! more would play them and more would find the bottom - everyone's a winner!

andy of betcom: try it, very easy and cheap to implement?
(09-19-2016, 08:24 PM)HoveSam Wrote: i genuinely believe putting the % to min 84% but target 88%+ would turn the industry around overnight. alot of the shit games would become liveable at least! more would play them and more would find the bottom - everyone's a winner!

andy of betcom: try it, very easy and cheap to implement?

U seem a seasoned veteran sam in the world of the fruit,when did it actually get so shit?..see I enjoy it still rarely wen I can be bothered never for profit tho may I add altho some of the time I do ok. I used to love funny money and wipeout etc..years ago, few quid in for a night out,need luck more than timmy with toasies roulette method to do that now lol
i know what it is like from the amateur side as well from when i play something i shouldn't, fruits can be fucking brutal wastes of money with very little chance of even cutting your losses.

i used to enjoy fruits a very long time ago but no more, merely a means to an end. i still make money but would advise the likes of you to never entertain the thought of playing them - lamb to the slaughter. lost £150 myself in a power tonight, and that is supposedly knowing every move in the book! lol
The following 1 user Likes HoveSam's post:
megastreaklover01
Oh I know very little,the only thing I have on my side is a bankroll to buy out most jps or a mega,hence most the time I do break even,had the odd bad loss where no cash point or cash back available so I leave them now mainly,just take the odd deal or stick in 50 and hope for the best as I used to enjoy em,had the odd repeat for 200 with little in on double chance and next level but for me it's mega rare,best left to those who play for a living tbh mate, had aweful results in that pipeye shite recently before i flew to work the other week to, over 20 for a board...over 120 in and one deal game...which gave me shite,id of pushed it to oblivion for jackpot but had to leave, I'm better suited on my pc with many a exotic beer and a kebab playing steamtower than nursing a Coke in a pub hoping for the best lol
Spoons is one thing, but certainly 90% of new 'micro-brewery' pubs, done-up 'posh pubs' serving pulled fckin pork on a slab with 'slaw' and beards do not have machines in as if it's beneath them, not classy enough.
The games themselves I dunno - as this year started there were Decades everywhere that seemed playable for fun and maybe a small earn. I remember seeing people playing them all the time. The red reels for once didn't seem like a trick (or a lie basically!) and you might even get a deal game on 25p stake. But now they seem back for round two in a much less friendly version.
VIPs seem to have lasted longer than I thought.
I don't know what to make of Popeye - can be dreadful, I nearly always stop counting and forget how much I've put in. Sometimes a nice win, too often lose too much.
The Daddy - don't mind this. Quite like what they've done here with the Deals.
Monopoly - have liked both ones knocking around this year. Last week I was shocked to be just given the three trains Cashpot during the game!
Hold Your Nerve - another decent game where generally you know where you are. Often COBed £25 or so.
Hill Billionaire - more friendly, less dangerous version of Popeye.
Star Paws - ditto.
Sorry, gone off topic here and rambling on. I think most of the games are ok at the moment. Maybe I'm crackers!!
All the machines you've just mentioned in the above post are absolute shite! lol
The following 6 users Like ridye's post:
Fenso, HoveSam, LookUp, megastreaklover01, Sebastian, SmegHead
(09-19-2016, 09:11 PM)ridye Wrote: All the machines you've just mentioned in the above post are absolute shite! lol

Second that!..this coming from ob who wins on anything must carry a lot of weight!..lol
The following 1 user Likes playford7's post:
megastreaklover01
Good fucking riddance to them then
The following 1 user Likes Sebastian's post:
LookUp
(09-19-2016, 08:55 PM)paggamaggaloo Wrote: Spoons is one thing, but certainly 90% of new 'micro-brewery' pubs, done-up 'posh pubs' serving pulled fckin pork on a slab with 'slaw' and beards do not have machines in as if it's beneath them, not classy enough.

I've noticed those abbreviated words ("slaw" instead of coleslaw) cropping up at places, and it does grate on me a little.  The other one they use is "dogs" a.k.a. hot dogs.

Don't knock micro breweries though.  I pigeon-hole Fosters, Carling and Carlsberg as the 3 worst beers... basically glorified water lol At micro breweries, you will get to try some real ale.  If you don't have one in the local area, then there will be a mainstream brewery like Titanic.
(09-19-2016, 09:32 PM)Mr Move It Wrote:
(09-19-2016, 08:55 PM)paggamaggaloo Wrote: Spoons is one thing, but certainly 90% of new 'micro-brewery' pubs, done-up 'posh pubs' serving pulled fckin pork on a slab with 'slaw' and beards do not have machines in as if it's beneath them, not classy enough.

I've noticed those abbreviated words ("slaw" instead of coleslaw) cropping up at places, and it does grate on me a little.  The other one they use is "dogs" a.k.a. hot dogs.

Don't knock micro breweries though.  I pigeon-hole Fosters, Carling and Carlsberg as the 3 worst beers... basically glorified water lol At micro breweries, you will get to try some real ale.  If you don't have one in the local area, then there will be a mainstream brewery like Titanic.
Are you another champion of the beard wearing no music no fruit playing trendy pub???..nothing worse!!!..full of protencious tossers all at uni with degrees that arnt worth a stain in    seaside Marie's crotch!!... Nothing wrong with a normal pint in a normal pub!..should you wish to get exotic buy a 1664 or a Stella...otherwise pop off to Camden and bore yourself silly with the 'in crowd' all living the dream off mammy n daddy..anyone who wants a real ale or a micro super powered super trendy all can find one in a pop up pub...not ur good old working class blokes boozer!...
(09-19-2016, 10:01 PM)playford7 Wrote: Are you another champion of the beard wearing no music no fruit playing trendy pub???..nothing worse!!!..full of protencious tossers all at uni with degrees that arnt worth a stain in    seaside Marie's crotch!!... Nothing wrong with a normal pint in a normal pub!..should you wish to get exotic buy a 1664 or a Stella...otherwise pop off to Camden and bore yourself silly with the 'in crowd' all living the dream off mammy n daddy..anyone who wants a real ale or a micro super powered super trendy all can find one in a pop up pub...not ur good old working class blokes boozer!...

[Image: Wllo4Q2.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Mr Move It's post:
HoveSam, LookUp
(09-19-2016, 10:42 PM)Mr Move It Wrote:
(09-19-2016, 10:01 PM)playford7 Wrote: Are you another champion of the beard wearing no music no fruit playing trendy pub???..nothing worse!!!..full of protencious tossers all at uni with degrees that arnt worth a stain in    seaside Marie's crotch!!... Nothing wrong with a normal pint in a normal pub!..should you wish to get exotic buy a 1664 or a Stella...otherwise pop off to Camden and bore yourself silly with the 'in crowd' all living the dream off mammy n daddy..anyone who wants a real ale or a micro super powered super trendy all can find one in a pop up pub...not ur good old working class blokes boozer!...

[Image: Wllo4Q2.jpg]

Love the reply haha!..
The following 1 user Likes playford7's post:
LookUp
(09-19-2016, 08:01 PM)Slasher Wrote: Easily solved.

1) Scrap the whole test phase shit, that's got us in a right mess
2) Make DECENT and FUN machines rather than just force force force shit - DOND had this nailed on the head, also machines that had jackpot shortcuts if you know what you were doing were pretty good too - so long as it isn't a full blown empty. Obviously the machine would need a certain level of life, especially these days, as otherwise they'll always be dead flat on their arses.
3) Put the percentages UP to compete with the bookie percentages. We don't need randoms or fobts in pubs where the owners just think shit percentages = more profit.
4) Stop being so deluded and trying to push out the core player. A lot of the play through, despite what you think, will indeed come from a player or players, willing to put hundreds in to win the jackpot in order to leave it dead for the next player.
5) Listen to the customers who put lots of money in (I'm looking at you BFG!)
6) MAINTAIN YOUR MACHINES PROPERLY!! THIS MEANS FIX BROKEN BUTTONS, NOTE RECYCLERS, COIN MECHS, ETC! (I'm looking at you Regal and Gamestec!)

Some good points but here's some comments:

Point 1 - depends what you mean by test phase - are you talking about test the water to see takings or test that the machine isn't flawed in it's game play.

Point 2 'also machines that had jackpot shortcuts if you know what you were doing were pretty good too' - BFG took most of those out on the upgrade from 70 to 100 so don't expect too many of them back.

Point 2 'Obviously the machine would need a certain level of life, especially these days, as otherwise they'll always be dead flat on their arses.' - trouble is with the JP being as high as 100 you will get this - BFG's recent trick is to weight the DOND away from the high values to stop this happening so I do understand it to a degree.
The following 1 user Likes dondplayer's post:
megastreaklover01

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are these 2 machines dondplayer 38 2,324 06-20-2018, 08:59 AM
Last Post: kong
  Old machines fodster 5 556 04-17-2018, 09:52 AM
Last Post: fodster
  Smashed up machines Boulderdash 9 1,025 01-18-2018, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Toastie
  Methods for old machines Moff 9 999 12-07-2017, 08:20 PM
Last Post: SmegHead
  When machines were good - Kung Fu Boulderdash 25 3,345 11-05-2017, 09:30 PM
Last Post: Boulderdash
  Old machines with bad graphics Boulderdash 1 378 09-27-2017, 09:05 PM
Last Post: jerz92
  FOBT Article on the Guardian website DaveScouse 19 3,703 08-24-2017, 08:55 AM
Last Post: jerz92
  Machines that fuck up ( to your advantage ) dazzler 35 12,587 12-19-2016, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Boydie
  The origin of 5-reel slot machines? Mr Move It 25 11,636 04-20-2016, 03:00 PM
Last Post: vectra666
  Machines Homed In Rough Pubs steelfix1 102 26,832 08-28-2015, 08:20 AM
Last Post: keno