Fruit Machine firsts.
Can anyone tell me which fruit machine was the first to give a win if you let 'em spin when getting a hold after nudges? I'm thinking Bar-X?
Also, which machine was first to let you hold a pair 3 times for a win? I've no idea on this one!
Thanks if anyone can answer!!!
I will have a stab at something Maygay. That or a Bingo lotech Crest
有難う御座います

ぺこ

CEO of JPF Japan. I play PACHISLO.

I've no idea on the first machine, but the term for this is a "flash hold". Originally, flashing lamps behind the reels after nudges was the only cue / indication of a flash hold. Later on (late 90s maybe), they dumbed it down by adding "let 'em spin" on the alpha and playing a sound effect to make it more obvious.
ace machines were the best for this sound
.. reeeeel 'em in!
Apparently nudges are patented by Dransfield. Any machine that uses nudges means royalties have to be paid
PLUS EEVEE!!!!!
http://www.dransfields.com/about-dransfields/the-nudger
The future is much like the present, only longer.
The following 1 user Likes JP 24/7's post:
Slasher
(06-23-2016, 08:34 PM)JP 24/7 Wrote: http://www.dransfields.com/about-dransfields/the-nudger

Very interesting read, thanks for the info. I've never heard of dransfields. They must've made a fortune from that patent.

I'm guessing a flash hold couldn't be patented as it's not a mechanical aspect of a machine, more of a feature?

I probably played my first machine around 1980 so I remember loads of games that didn't give flash holds or hold a pair 3 times for the win but for the life of me I can't remember which machines were the "game changers." They should be recognised as being important. - Can you image playing machines in the last 20 or so years without these features?

.....now I'm driving myself crazy wondering what the first machine with an "invincible" mode was!
The following 1 user Likes 6099john's post:
Slasher
Talking pub machines when the JP was £4.80:

The hold after nudge worked on the majority of machines (there was one that didn't but can't remember which) but I only remember Barcrest saying Let 'Em Spin - Bell Fruit definitely didn't.

The 3 holds worked on most but again there were exceptions.
First with Invincible I think was Its A Knockout by Maygay. Popular saying back then was RED TANK
有難う御座います

ぺこ

CEO of JPF Japan. I play PACHISLO.

Cops n robbers and only fools and horses would give you a win after hold from nudges. It would give you feature from a 3 time bold, but if you held two of a kind 3 times it didnt come in, it would normally guve a nudge though.
As said don't think the £4ers did let em spin, deffo £4.80s bfm's and jpm's to start with.
Barcrest started in the £6era
I think it might have been Project Jokers Wild 10p/£4
(06-24-2016, 09:29 AM)jokepoteer Wrote: I think it might have been Project Jokers Wild 10p/£4

Jokers Wild defo hold after nudge, sure some other £4 ones did too
(06-23-2016, 09:28 PM)6099john Wrote:
(06-23-2016, 08:34 PM)JP 24/7 Wrote: http://www.dransfields.com/about-dransfields/the-nudger

Very interesting read, thanks for the info. I've never heard of dransfields. They must've made a fortune from that patent.

I'm guessing a flash hold couldn't be patented as it's not a mechanical aspect of a machine, more of a feature?

I probably played my first machine around 1980 so I remember loads of games that didn't give flash holds or hold a pair 3 times for the win but for the life of me I can't remember which machines were the "game changers." They should be recognised as being important. - Can you image playing machines in the last 20 or so years without these features?

.....now I'm driving myself crazy wondering what the first machine with an "invincible" mode was!

I never knew that about the nudge great little article is that, found something else about it here

"To add an element of interactivity to a gambling machine, Trevor Carter, co-founder of Carfield Engineers Ltd introduced the Nudge button. Thanks to the Nudge button, a fruit machine transformed from being a totally random betting machine to a game of skill. Strategic use of Nudges and later, Holds, allowed fruit machines to slip through the legal net and be enjoyed with a pint in your local pub"

http://www.tvcleisure.co.uk/blog/history...t-machine/
3 hold exceptions.... pot black, lots of club machines
(06-24-2016, 05:55 PM)Damo Wrote:
(06-23-2016, 09:28 PM)6099john Wrote:

I never knew that about the nudge great little article is that, found something else about it here

"To add an element of interactivity to a gambling machine, Trevor Carter, co-founder of Carfield Engineers Ltd introduced the Nudge button. Thanks to the Nudge button, a fruit machine transformed from being a totally random betting machine to a game of skill. Strategic use of Nudges and later, Holds, allowed fruit machines to slip through the legal net and be enjoyed with a pint in your local pub"

http://www.tvcleisure.co.uk/blog/history...t-machine/

Excellent article the history of what we all play today :)
The following 1 user Likes levartemit's post:
megastreaklover01

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spread betting demands no more skill than playing a fruit machine. Boulderdash 3 143 06-26-2017, 08:35 AM
Last Post: Quizard
  What's this machine dondplayer 12 660 05-11-2017, 08:54 PM
Last Post: dude_se
  Best cash or bust on shit machine. spencer71 18 1,379 03-23-2017, 10:54 AM
Last Post: jerz92
  Worst music / fuck up on a fruit Boulderdash 10 973 02-26-2017, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Mr Move It
  Stupid things you have seen a fruit machine do Sebastian 54 12,950 02-21-2017, 12:16 PM
Last Post: Matt Vinyl
  Which machine is your favourite for Cash or Bust? Boulderdash 21 1,976 02-21-2017, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Matt Vinyl
  Derren Brown Fruit Machine Guy ridye 13 2,141 11-04-2016, 12:49 PM
Last Post: Boulderdash
  A slight twist on the fruit machine idea Mr Move It 5 1,118 09-08-2016, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Mr Move It
  Triennial review of slot machine prizes Boulderdash 10 2,546 07-11-2016, 05:15 PM
Last Post: jokepoteer
Star Oldest machine in the wild Sebastian 19 4,911 06-19-2016, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Gary_D